A retrospective exhibition of the work of one of the greatest masters of the Soviet realistic landscape, organized with the support of the In artibus Foundation, was held at the Mikhailovsky Castle (State Russian Museum) and is available to visitors until November 30, 2015. The exhibition presents about 70 works from the collection of the Russian Museum, the artist’s family and private collections.
Nikolai Mikhailovich Romadin was born in 1903 in Samara. In 1922 he studied at the Samara Art College; in 1923-1930 — at the Higher Art and Technical Workshops in Moscow with R.R. Falk. Participant of exhibitions since 1924 (more than 200 group, All-Union and international exhibitions, including the Venice Biennale of 1956). Since 1938, he has made regular creative trips around the country: the Volga region, Karelia, Arkhangelsk, Ivanovo, Kostroma, Tver, Pskov regions, Central Asia and Crimea, as well as abroad. Full member of the USSR Academy of Arts. People’s Artist of the USSR. Laureate of State prizes. In 1981, Romadin’s self-portrait was donated to the Uffizi Gallery (Florence).
The exhibition covers the main stages of Nikolai Romadin’s work — from early portraits, genre paintings and sketches of the pre-war period to chamber and epic images of Russian nature in the works of the 1960s and 1970s.